Knights volleyball wins five-set thriller at home

Staff report

Nora Darrhar

LAURINBURG — The St. Andrews University women’s volleyball team edged Appalachian Athletic Conference foe Union College in five sets on Saturday to complete the program’s first-ever win over the Bulldogs.

The Knights won the first two sets before the Bulldogs scored the next two to force the deciding fifth set. St. Andrews pulled ahead in the final game for the 25-19, 25-22, 23-25, 21-25, 15-7 victory.

St. Andrews improved to 13-7 this season and have won nine of ten games as the team improved to 8-5 in AAC play. The loss dropped Union to 18-9 and 11-3 in the conference.

Junior libero Nora Darrhar posted a career-high 35 digs in the victory and is now fifth in the conference with 312 this season.

Junior captain Tessa Smith led the team with 14 kills and 18 digs, and senior setter Jaden Lynch had 36 assists and 10 digs to go along with four kills, three aces and three blocks.

St. Andrews will travel to Raleigh today to battle Shaw University at 7 p.m.

Women’s soccer plays to a draw

ATHENS, Tenn. —It wasn’t a win, but St. Andrews came back to force a tie against Tennessee Wesleyan in its match Saturday.

The two teams played to a 2-2 draw as the Knights are now 8-3-2 overall and 3-1-2 in the Appalachian Athletic Conference while the Bulldogs are 5-6-3 and 4-3-2 in conference play.

The Knights struck first in the 23rd minute when senior midfielder Hayley Peck recorded a goal, but the Bulldogs answered just before the half after Lauren Cunningham found the back of the net in the 43rd minute.

Tennessee Wesleyan then broke the tie in the 66th minute after Dayna Randall scored. St. Andrews didn’t trail for long, however, as Anna Werneth answered with a goal in the 67th minute to knot the game at 2-all.

Both teams were unable to score in the two overtime periods, and combined for only six shots on goal during the extra sessions.

St. Andrews remains in third place in the AAC and will host Milligan College in its next match today at 3 p.m.

Men’s rally comes up short

ATHENS, Tenn. — Tennessee Wesleyan College edged St. Andrews University 2-1 in the men’s soccer tilt Saturday.

The Bulldogs drew first blood three minutes into the match when Laurence Hutchinson scored to give Tennessee Wesleyan a 1-0 lead. The hosts then tacked on another goal in the 22nd minute when Ben Wilks scored off an assist from Othello Bah.

It was a dominant first-half performance for the Bulldogs as they outshot the Knights 8-2.

St. Andrews came to life after the break, however, as Manu Escalera notched his fifth goal of the year in the 59th minute to cut Tennessee Wesleyan’s lead in half.

Despite holding an 8-2 shot advantage of their own in the second half, the Knights were unable to notch the equalizer goal as Bulldog goalkeeper Daniel O’Hare made four saves.

Leandro Custodio had two saves for the Knights.

Escalera paced the Knights with four shots, three of which were on goal.

The Knights are now 6-4-1 overall and 3-3 in the AAC while the Bulldogs improved to 7-6-1 and 4-3-1 in the conference.

St. Andrews will return to action Wednesday to host Milligan College at 3 p.m.

Nora Darrhar Darrhar

Staff report

comments powered by Disqus