She was born on Jan. 19, 1936 in Laurinburg to the late James Albert Bledsoe and Pearl Wright Bledsoe Thomas.
Betty was a graduate of Laurinburg High School and the University of North Carolina at Greensboro Business School. She worked for the Esso (Exxon) Regional Office in Charlotte for 25 years as an executive secretary and 5 years for the Frito Lay Regional Sales office in Charlotte before retiring.
Betty was married to the late Earl Douglas Williamson of Laurinburg for 12 years. They relocated to Charlotte and had one daughter. In 1972, she married the late Leon Franklin Brooks, Jr. of Charlotte and became stepmother of two children.
Betty and Frank loved to travel to the beach, square dance, and garden. She was actively involved in her church where she served in various Sunday School roles and led many fund raising activities. She was an exceptional seamstress and loved painting, flower arranging, cake decorating, cross-stitching, and decorating her home.
Betty is survived by her daughter Janet Williamson Ridenhour and husband, Jeff of Chesterfield, Va., stepdaughter Julie Brooks Morris and husband Phil of Powder Springs , Ga., stepson Jeffrey Brooks of Charlotte, sisters Peggy Bledsoe Dillingham of Fort Mill, S.C., Brenda Bledsoe Cook of Fort Mill, S.C., and Phyllis Bledsoe Callahan and husband Rick of Orlando, Fla., surrogate grandchildren Elizabeth and Neb Good of Fort Mill, S.C. She is predeceased by her brother James Albert Bledsoe, Jr.
Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 29 at the Pleasant Hill United Methodist Church on Hwy 160 in Fort Mill, S.C. preceded by a visitation at 1 p.m. in the church’s worship center. Burial will follow at Sharon Memorial Park Cemetery in Charlotte.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations can be made in her honor to the Lewy Body Dementia Association (lbda.org), or the Pleasant Hill United Methodist Church, 238 Fort Mill Hwy, Indian Land SC, 29707.
Online condolences may be left at www.mcewenpinevillechapel.com.
Arrangements by McEwen Funeral Service of Charlotte.