Mill Prong to hold Christmas openhouse


Staff report



Courtesy photo Traditional decorations will be on display throughout the historic house.


RAEFORD — The 2014 Mill Prong Christmas Open House will be held Dec. 6, from 2 to 5 p.m.

Traditional decorations will be on display throughout the historic house. Docents will conduct tours and highlight significant architectural details. This event is free and open to the public.

Visitors will be greeted by the costumed Sandhills Consort presenting 18t-h and 19th-century music featuring instruments of the time.

Exhibits depicting the construction and later restoration of the house are provided for those interested in preservation. Also available for viewing are documents depicting John Gilchrist Jr.’s leadership and contributions to regional education.

Tartans have been donated from local representatives of various clans. The ‘Tartan Room’ provides ledgers to sign telling the individual’s personal heritage and affiliation.

Mill Prong House served as a stage coach stop and was the largest plantation in the region. The house was built in approximately 1795 by Scottish immigrant John Gilchrist Sr. and is located in southern Hoke County between Red Springs and Raeford at 3062 Edinburgh Road.

The house is open monthly on each first Sunday, from 2 to 5 p.m.

For information, call (910) 466-9008 or (910) 692-7272.

Courtesy photo Traditional decorations will be on display throughout the historic house.
http://laurinburgexchange.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/web1_millP_cmyk.jpgCourtesy photo Traditional decorations will be on display throughout the historic house.

Staff report

comments powered by Disqus